The Aim Of The Game
To be the first player to collect 6 Cornish Pasties!
- The game is designed for 2-4 players.
- Place the St Ives Postcards face down, next to the board, where all the players can reach them.
- Put the Cornish Pasty pieces in the little box where all the players can reach them.
- Each player chooses a beach, and the matching counter (surfboard). Your chosen beach is where you start.
- Place your surfboard on your beach.
How To Play
- The youngest players starts (as that is how all games start in our family!)
- The starting player rolls the die and moves the corresponding number of spaces.
- Depending on what type of space you land on, you will either take a card, win pasties, lose pasties, or cause other players to lose pasties.
- You will win and lose lots of pasties along the way, but the winner is the first player to hold 6 pasties.
Direction Of Play
- The main direction of play is clockwise around the board.
- On the spaces that run through the center of the board, you can only go ONE WAY - from The Sloop Inn to the Church (i.e. how traffic moves along Fore Street).
- If you land on The Digey or Custom House Passage, you must slide to Fore Street. Do not take a postcard if you have moved to Fore Street this way. Play just passes to the next player. If you land on Fore Street by any other method, you take a postcard but do not slide.
Length Of Play
- This is a game of chance, so the time each game takes does vary. On average, we find that it takes 2 players (who know St Ives quite well and so can move around the board fairly quickly) about 20 mins to play. Our quickest finish time has been 11 minutes, which my other half won. I can't help feeling there was some cheating going on under my nose!
- You can vary the length and difficulty of the game. You can change the number of pasties you need to collect, or, to make it last a long time, you can decide that in order to win, you have to return back to your own beach with all 6 pasties. This last option can take forever!
- This is a simple and fun game to play. However, there is reference to pubs and alcohol in it, so please bear this in mind if you are going to be playing it with all the family. In addition, the pasty pieces and counters are relatively small (and tasty looking), so please keep all small parts away from children and their mouths!
Type Of Spaces
There are several different types of spaces you can land on when you roll the die and move. Each one has a different action.
If you land on a CAFE, roll the dice again (but don't move). If you roll an ODD number you win a pasty. If you roll and EVEN number you win nothing.
If you land on a PUB, all players must pass their collection of pasties to the player on their LEFT. If only 2 players are playing you just swap pasties.
RESTAURANTS & FISH AND CHIP SHOPS
If you land on a RESTAURANT or FISH & CHIP SHOP, roll the dice again but do not move. If you roll a SIX you win a pasty. If you roll any other number you win nothing.
If you land on a PASTY SHOP you win a pasty!
ART GALLERIES & GIFT SHOPS
If you land on an ART GALLERY or GIFT SHOP you are SAFE FROM SEAGULL ATTACKS whilst you are there.
SEAGULL ATTACK SPACES
If you land on a space with a seagull on, you roll the dice again (but do not move).
1 = ALL PLAYERS LOSE A PASTY
2 = YOU LOSE A PASTY
3 = YOU STEAL A PASTY FROM ANY OTHER PLAYER
4 = YOU LOSE A PASTY
5 = YOU STEAL A PASTY FROM ANY OTHER PLAYER
6 = YOU WIN A PASTY
If a player is on a SAFE FROM SEAGULL ATTACK space, you cannot steal a pasty from them, and they cannot lose a pasty.
If you land on a space with a little postcard on, you take on of the St Ives Postcard cards, and follow the instructions on the card. If the card moves you to a space with a SEAGULL or POSTCARD on it, no further action is taken. If it takes you to a beach, you have the opportunity to steal a pasty.
If you land on a beach that is not your own, you can steal ONE PASTY from there. No players are safe from this, even if your counter is on a space that is SAFE FROM SEAGULLS. If you land on your own beach, play just passes to the next player.